TRANStoWORK – Work based Learning in Architecture, Engineering and Construction (AEC) Industry: the transition of young people to Work is a project funded by the 2017 Call of the Erasmus+ Programm of the European Union, inscribed within Key Action 2- Cooperation for Innovation and the Exchange of Good Practices - KA202 - Strategic Partnerships for vocational education and training
The main objective of TRANStoWork is enhance, reinforce and structure work-based learning (WBL) in vocational training courses for young people aged 18 to 35 (EQF level 4-5-6), particularly in those areas of production that show a gab in skills and a lack of propensity to change.
In order to do so, collaboration between those operating in the production process (the companies), the Vocational Training operators and the social partners – Entrepreneurship Associations and Labor Unions – is needed to make it possible for work-based learning to become pervasive within the training path, using shared methods.
The production sector taken into consideration is the Construction sector in its most innovative sense: the Architecture, Engineering and Construction (AEC) Industry.
The specific objectives that the project intends to pursue are:
- Promote WBL innovation experiences in the company, thanks to the contribution of trained young people (ICT skills, digitization of the construction site) in a sector that shows strong resistance to change
- Promote the training of tutors, coordinators and trainers involved in the WBL process.
- Develop innovative tools to support WBL in order to make it easy for the companies of the construction sector to understand the high added value of the WBL training methodology, trying to overcome barriers and to conceive the workplace as a privileged learning environment.
The project proposes to enhance bilateralism for its integrated promotion with work-based learning.
The expected results are:
- Adoption of the WBL model shared by the Partnership. Tools that support the model are identified, including the design of an App, a Web-Based Application that contains information about acquired (formal and informal) knowledge, assessment tools, skills and competences that students develop during on-the-job training periods. The App allows a deep interaction between the subjects involved (students, company tutors, vocational training tutors) as well as continuous monitoring of the learning process.
- Company cultural/technological growth. Young people in training can play a key role in construction companies, particularly in the SMEs of the chain, as they can introduce innovative elements to support the growth of the company, with particular reference to digitization processes. In this way, conditions can be created to optimize the transition process to work (transformation of the internship into contracted work).
- The professional knowledge spendable by those attending the training course. The project proposal is geared towards developing partnerships between Companies and Vocational Training Centers aimed at promoting work-based learning in all its forms. A specific focus is to the transition to quality work positions, involving Stakeholders who play an active ex-ante, present and ex-post role (Entrepreneurship Associations, Labor Unions, Companies, Vocational Training Bodies and Local, Regional and National Government Institutions, as far as training and work policies are concerned).
- Training of Trainers who manage on-the-job learning processes, from the course laboratory, to the alternating process, up to the transition to work.
- Identification of proposals to adapt professional construction-related qualifications, in its AEC context, in light of the ongoing transformations, with particular reference to the digitization of the construction site and of the construction process and the consequent reconfiguration of certain professional profiles (connected, for example, to the introduction of Building Information Modeling – BIM).
The Target Groups on which the project focuses are:
- Young people attending vocational training courses in the construction sector for the acquisition of professional qualifications corresponding to the EQF level 4-5-6.
- VET trainers, company trainers and VET tutors.
- Indirect Beneficiaries:
- Education and Vocational Training Systems
- Employers’ Associations and Labor Unions
- Secondary Education Vocational Training Institutes.
24 months, from November 2017 to October 2018.
I.I.P.L.E. - ISTITUTO PER L' ISTRUZIONE PROFESSIONALE DEI LAVORATORI EDILI DELLA PROVINCIA DI BOLOGNA
FUNDACIÓN LABORAL DE LA CONSTRUCCIÓN (Spain)
VIESOJI ISTAIGA VILNIAUS STATYBININKU RENGIMO CENTRAS (Lithuania)
IRES Emilia Romagna
CDS Centro Documentazioni Studi
CLUJ CHAMBER OF COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY